View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #132
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
What is Seidenberg asking for?

He's a potential replacement for Rob Scuderi, who I am feeling more and more is gone. Seidenberg won't be as good as Scuds was in a PK and shutdown role, but he can do other things...like actually handle the puck.

I'd be curious about Jokinen in Pittsburgh if he wasn't asking alot. He'd be a (relatively) cheap option with Sid or Geno.

I really like Larose as a player, but with Kennedy and Talbot, and lesser degree Cooke, we have too many guys that do what he does.

I don't know what Seids's number is, but as JR put it, "Based on my conversation with his agent, and where they think he's at, he's a long way out of our reach." He made $1.2 mill last year. Also bear in mind that "out of our reach" in Carolina means something different than elsewhere as we aren't going to be spending up to the cap (probably at least $5-6 million under at best), so I'm guessing he went up to $2.5-3 mill or something in that range. Given that Carolina had $40 million on the books already, it was going to be hard to keep him, LaRose, Jokinen, Ruutu, Cole, et al, together anyway.

This won't really change anything in terms of whether Carolina becomes a serious buyer in free agency, though. I'm guessing they may try to make a run at someone, either at a wing position (if they don't take Cole back) or a d-man. Otherwise, they'll probably look to the AHL and the fairly good young talent in Albany to replenish things.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote