View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Perhaps the biggest obstacle I have right now is figuring out which players to protect. Compounding the issue is the coach that didn't take the team. He continues to waver on if he and his son will be in the program. One day he's hot, the next day he's cold. I would love to just cut the cord and let him loose, but the issue is he's connected with the other boys I'm interested in protecting. In other words, if he's not going to be there...I need it to be his idea. I've planted a few seeds to try and bring that out of him but so far I've had no luck.

His son's a decent athlete. We played them last year and beat them handily. However, he's also trying to have me protect another Hillsboro boy as well. I'm having a tough enough time trying to decide who I will protect out of the boys I know well much less one relatively unknown commodity and one that's completely unknown.

If he doesn't help/his son doesn't play, that frees up a slot for me...a somewhat valuable spot.

Three slots are locked down. Reece, the football coach's dad. Elijah, one of the boys I wanted to protect last year but was unable to do so. Tyler, a great ballplayer who was protected last year before I could even say a word. Reece and Elijah are runners and Tyler's a lineman on offense. They project at end (Reece) and backers on defense.

Things get hairy from there. Assuming the coach isn't there, I have two spots for four kids. Two very good linemen and two kids from last season, Nick C and Bryce C. Nick C was very very good defensively for me and played tight end. He'd likely move to fullback/blocking back this season. Bryce's dad was my top assistant last season and has been very open about wanting to coach with me this season before any of this latest news came down the pike. Of those two, I'd prefer Nick over Bryce. Bryce was my leading rusher last season but would likely be 3rd fiddle in this orchestra. He was also somewhat of a liability as a blocker and defender. Nick wasn't great offensively but was defensively. I'll take his defense.

That leaves the two linemen out in the open...which maybe one might slide through the protection phase...maybe. If that coach IS in the picture, things are even worse for me in that regard.

Decisions, decisions...