View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #120
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
It's been awhile since I played EU, but I remember feeling lost about what to do next at a certain point. It may have been the raft of information available and myriad variables I recall trying to consider.

I guess I might compare my experience to the one I had with Civ IV. With Civ, I always had that sense that I could do any number of things with the next turn and could have a pretty clear understanding of why I was making that decision and the possible range of consequences that could follow from it. I didn't always get that sense from EU. I could do any number of things, but I wasn't always clear about why I should be making that decision and even less clear about the potential consequences. I know Paradox is not intending to create Civ-style games, but are any of these more recent titles a few steps up from Civ when it comes to how clearly the player knows what might be done and its range of outcomes? Does this question make sense?

'Course maybe for $5, something like CK might be worth trying anyways.

It makes perfect sense, but I don't have a good answer for you. The Paradox games(EU/CK/HOI/Vicki) are just very demanding for a new user. Eventually it becomes pretty routine and you can focus on different sets of info depending on what you want to do, but I don't know how to get to that point without a lot of frustration.