View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #3460
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
One does have to wonder that if the Dems are so confident in this plan, why do they need the Republicans at all? That would certainly mitigate the political damage if this was a disaster, but wouldn't the political gains be even greater if they could be the party that saved healthcare? What are they afraid of?

i think they're afraid (rightfully so) that if they do pass this on a straight party-line basis that there will be outcries before we even know how it is working that they essentially abused their power and abandoned democracy and rammed this thing through and so on and so forth.

I'm not saying I agree that they should just ram it through or not (i'm fairly undecided) but I think if they do just ram it through, regardless of if it will work or not you'll see an even larger gnashing of teeth by conservative media talking about how the Democrats have abandoned bipartisanship, etc. When really, bipartisanship takes two to make it work, and by all accounts it doesn't seem that the Republicans are that interested in making anything work - they've become the party of "NO" rather than the party of "No, but"/
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote