View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 06:21 AM   #37
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal_GM View Post
As for my recent team building, I pretty much took 5 seasons off from 100% effort to play out my love for old Emmett. Rather than throwing him to the wayside at 35, 36, or 37 when he was on the downhill, I continued to drag his overpaid no stuff ass along just to live out the experience. I didn't know he was going to play until he was 45! Certainly things would have turned around much faster had I dropped him, Hughes, Keyte, and Blackmore, as well as the 45 Mil owed to them each year and jumped directly into a full on rebuild.

I remember back in the 1960s with Valdosta I had a similar issue with one of my favorite players a 1B named Heath Palmer who at the time was the best contact hitter in FOOL history. (something like the top 5 or 6 hits in a season were all by him at that point). I decided that there was no way I could contend if I kept him so decided to let him walk but I put up a thread to see what others would do:

What would you do? Free Agency poll (loyalty vs drive to win) - Front Office Football Central

The end result, I did let him walk (eventually brought him back for a final season before he retired though.) The really sad thing though for me was Palmer never did make it to the hall of fame even though at the time he looked as sure of a hall of famer as almost anyone (only a handful of hitters better than him at the time). The influx of vulture league talent and the overall increase of ability across the board made him just look inferior in later years by the time the Hall of Fame opened. To this day though, he is still one of my favorite fake players ever! (Heath Palmer and Brian Hughes)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote