View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #49
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Every time the argument gets clouded by poor analogies from both sides.

The distillation of the issue: Is piracy theft, and if so, how do you morally justify it? I've never really seen this answered directly by the (poor words, I know) pro-piracy side, just obfuscated.

Why does morality even have to enter into it? Physical possessions don't need or deserve a moral code protecting them. The law is the law and morality can keep the fuck out of it. Is there a moral requirement not to spit on the subway? It's against the law and therein lies why you shouldn't do it not because you're morally a bad person if you do. That just obfuscates the true issue.

Same with these anti theft laws. Whenever I hear the moral argument bandied around all I can think of is someone's got some money tied up here and wants to shame people in order to protect it. That's hitting below the belt to me.

Fight legal battles in court and leave morality to whatever higher power you want to follow. I can't think of one major moral figure in history that would be a property rights advocate though I'm sure some of them would privately support them as practical issues but not major moral issues.