View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #46
Izulde
Head Coach

For some reason Nelly "Ride Wit Me" seems appropriate on this gloomy Tuesday morning. Maybe it's because it's the Bengals. All I know is, it's been gloomier and more rainy in Seattle here lately and that's even more depressing than the state of this '93 Bengals squad.

Week 1 Pre-Game Notes
-Three defensive starters out? Check. Rookie QB making his first start? Check. On the road against our archrivals and QB Bernie Kosar to open the season? Doublecheck and mating up the ass. It'll be a bigger assreaming than the 6 points the Browns are favored by. I'd so take that bet if I were a gambling man.

Mistake-Marred Opener Sees Bengals Blown Out 34-7

QB Bernie Kosar's stats weren't eye-popping, but he still won Player of the Game

The Cincinnati Bengals are now 0-3 against the Cleveland Browns in the Jestor era. Worse, they had their poorest showing in the season opener, whistled for a staggering 15 penalties and 89 yards along with 4 turnovers that gave QB Bernie Kosar and the Browns consistently short field position to work with.

Hence, Kosar was Player of the Game despite a rather pedestrian 18 of 26 for 198 yards and a TD. But even though he didn't break the 200 yards passing mark, he was still far more impressive than Bengals QB Elvis Grbac, who looked very much a rookie, if an accurate one at 15/18 for 149 yards, a TD and an INT. Although Grbac showed flashes, including a beautiful 44 yard second quarter pass to WR Don Beebe to set up the ensuing 16 yard TD throw to WR Carl Pickens to make it 14-7, too often he made the short throw and failed to break the first down line. Bengals #2 QB Wade Wilson fared little better, throwing 2 interceptions in just 14 pass attempts and recording just 49 yards on 9 completions.

Rookie RB Jerome Bettis had an uneven debut, carrying the ball 14 times for 60 yards and showing some good gains, but also fumbling once. MLB Alex Gordon led the Bengals defense with 11 tackles, 3 assists and a hurry, but the team was clearly missing starters DT Tim Krumrie, MLB Randy Kirk and SLB Kevin Greene, all of whom were out with injuries.

One can only hope the Bengals regroup, because things are looking grim if this week's game is any indication.

Other AFC North Scores
Pittsburgh 17 Baltimore 27

Unbelievable. The Ravens equal their win total of all of last year in Week 1 in a huge upset of the Steelers. QB Drew Bledsoe had an electric debut - 23/29 for 214 yards and 2 TDs. Pittsburgh really misses RB Albert Bentley, who went to the Houston Texans, of all teams, in free agency.

Injury Update
FS David Fulcher - Knee Bursitis - Probable - 1 week
SLB Kevin Greene - Upgraded to Doubtful
MLB Randy Kirk - Upgraded to Questionable
DT Tim Krumrie - Upgraded to Probable

Sheesh. Now Fulcher's hurt? Still, it could've been a lot worse. It's gonna be an ugly season, fo' sho.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote