Thread: Tipping
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #127
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
But up here, those guys make the same base coin as everyone at McDonald's or in a clothing store or whatever, and yet for some reason I'm expected to tip them because hey, that's the social convention. I just don't get it, and it bugs me.

Sounds to me like you overvalue the social aspect of tipping too much. It's sort of akin to being polite to some asshole you loathe because you prefer that than the other options. I'd say that's something we all deal with to some extent everyday. But based on your comments it sounds to me as though you ought to definitely be madder at both cross-culturization and the impact of social pressure than at the service industry, the latter is really just a symptom of a bigger issue for you.

And boy were your comments on this confusing the hell out of me until my brain finally registered "he's in Canada stupid" Makes a great deal more sense once I got that part.