View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 11:39 PM   #28
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I think Jones' reputation on D is derived from the fact that he clearly puts 100% effort on the defensive end each possession, while being pretty passive on the other end.

Indivdually he's not a particularly great defender. He did a fairly good job on Kobe in the playoffs, but he's no Battier, and is even more one-dimensional.

He looked more aggressive with the ball in the preseason, so maybe he's looking to show there's a little more to his game this season.

If he's being more aggressive, you'll hate him more. He didn't do a good job on Kobe either. Kobe destroyed him. Here are some numbers for consumption:

Last year Jones had a -9.1 Roland rating.
He had an adjusted 39% FG% on jump shots.
Opposing SG had a 58% adjusted FG% against him.
The Nuggets gave up more points per 100 possession with him on the floor than when he was off it.

Essentially, here is the deal with him:

You are dead right, you will get effort every night.
He'll blow you away with a huge dunk every now and then.
He'll fire off a cheap shot on an opposing player at times. (you be the judge on how good that is)
When he's on the court, you are playing 4-5 on the offensive end.
There are a handful of players in the league that get frustrated with his type of defense. Most of those players calm down, adjust and destroy him the rest of the game. . . but he'll get under the skin of some and they'll do some stupid things.

This is strictly my opinion:

As a 10 minute a night player on a team full of scoring options, he's good to have. As a 20 minute a night rotation player, you'd better hope everything else goes right for your team or he'll get exposed. At 4 years for 11 million dollar? I'm glad he's someone elses problem.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote