View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #592
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
So, has anyone played in Italy for a good while and can fill me in about co-ownership ? I understand the basic principle, but how regularly is it used/do i have to use it ?
Will it be that in a few year basically every promising players is co-owned by a big club ? So that i have no choice but to seek such deals as well ?

Is there a time limit until it runs out ? End of the contract ?

co-ownership is a pain in my ass. i've never seen it become massively wide-spread with every promising player so i don't think you need to seek such deals as a larger club. It can be useful for smaller clubs as a way of raising assets - set a co-ownership deal with one of the big squads for 2 years and keep the kid with you so you get cash and you get to play him for a couple years until the big squad likely scoops him up. As the larger squad though I've never seen the appeal of it to me. But that may also be because i like to bring up youth. I'd rather keep them on my books and loan them out for a year and have someone else pay the wages if necessary rather than have a co-owner. typically i try to stay fiscally responsible so it's not like i ever NEED the money to be gained from it and i'm always wary of losing a young star that way.

take this time for example - criscito starts out as co-owned by Genoa. Genoa refused to sell him back to me even for his stated value for the first 2 years. When the co-ownership deal ran out I had to pay OVER his stated value in order to get him back (15+ million). I would have rather had his salary on the books for a couple years then have had to pay that.

Basically it benefits the smaller clubs as they get to sell almost a first-option on the player for a chunk of cash, but they are then faced with "if the player is any good he'll likely get snapped up for more than i'm able to pay for him" after a couple years.

oh - you said you understand the principle - well i played till 2030 in 2009 and i didn't notice an unusual or even probably a high level of great-players being co-owned. i presume that didn't get "broke" in 2010...i'm only up in 2012 though...

as a big squad i'd also rather pay up-front for a talented youngster all-in while he's young (i typically have mutliple scouts just devoted to u-20 players) rather than pay for part of him. i figure buying 5 16 year olds for $1m is better than buying one 19 year old for 6...diversification of risk.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-13-2009 at 08:40 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote