View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #643
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
In England, non european union players must get work permits to be allowed transfer into the country. These permits are usually only given to players who have played something like 60% of their national teams last 20 games or something. Essentially, it means you cant sign non-EU players unless they are apart of and playing for their national teams. The exception is the "special talent" clause, which is usually reserved for wonderkids or other amazingly talented players, but dont bank on this often.

So what clubs do to get around this, is they set up a feeder club arrangement with a team from a country with the easiest citizen requirements(Belgium and Poland are the two that come to mind). So they sign the player without a work permit and loan him out to these countries until they get citizenship there and are then EU citizens(for example, I think belgium takes 3 years). Its annoying, but its just like in real life. What I usually try to do, with any non-EU players I sign in England, whether they get a work permit or not, is ensure the contract is as long as possible, so by the time its up they qualify for citizenship and dont need a new work permit.

Blade did a good job answering this. But the reason your player is losing his work permit is because he never played nor did he meet the conditions that Blade outlined above.