View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #267
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Just finished Lynch's follow up in the Gentleman Bastards series, Red Seas Under Red Skies. Very enjoyable read. Not as tightly written as The Lies of Locke Lamora and I didn't find Tel Verrar to be as interesting as Camorr. That said, the characters were still fun to follow, and there were more series plot twists to follow in a series I see now is planned to go seven books.

The next one, A Republic of Thieves, is supposed to come out in the spring 2010, and it concerns the Bondmagi and Locke Lamora's oft-spoken and never met lost love Sabetha, so I am particularly interested to grab that one. Still, it's interesting to note this was actually originally due for release in spring 2009. I don't know about Lynch's personal side like I think we all do GRRM, but I have seen forum posts linking his delay to ones like GRRM's and another author I don't know, a Patrick Rothfuss or someone like that. I hope this isn't some trend we're starting to see where it gets longer and longer in between books in a series.

Just looked around for SM Stirling's Sword of the Lady on paperback, and a release date is still not announce...grumble. I hate hardcover prices (speaking of release times, Stirling is like a clock, his novels are always finished when they are supposed to, and he's prolific, keeps two series and more going at once, and gets books out every year, he must not be human).

So now I am reading Kellerman's Evidence, the latest Alex Delaware novel, a crime mystery series that is a guilty pleasure of mine (it's the hardcover, I got it as a gift ).

After that, I'm not sure. Several nonfiction books I have considered starting. Also considered going back to Ghost Wars, the 2005 Pulitzer winner on the CIA and Afghanistan from the Soviet years up to 9-11; it's very interesting, but very heavily footnoted and huge, so it's not an easy read. If I go with fiction, it will probably be back to scifi; I have Alistair Reynolds The Prefect, waiting to be read.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-13-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote