View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #93
SportsDino
College Prospect

I've only mentioned playing WMT, FUN, and CAT here, but review of most of the babble I made in 2009:

- WMT: struggling to break 50 most of the time, around 54 now but due for another small dip. I still think it climbs towards 55 eventually, but probably will continue to go from 49-53 for most of the year. This is one I like to spike because I'm reasonably confident it is solid to predict (I like lots of cash and scale and no real panic signs).

- FUN: ugh... this stock is ruined by a changeover in leadership. I was hoping it would not be as much of a factor, but it has been... I liquidated at 11 in late July, picked it at 7 in November on pure dividend fascination, and dumped it again after the latest hooplah over 11 (never turn down a 50% gain with a company that is giving you heartburn). I'm at the point where I am giving up on it... one of those companies where its core is great but top office shenanigans are going to sink it possibly.

- CAT: covered by Quiksand, I was reluctant in January, but loaded up during the great buy fest of March. Haven't even spiked it, just holding on... it has more than doubled though and it has flattened so I think I might just take some profits and risk missing further growth (maybe a bad idea to hope for a downtick reload here though). I rather have the cash at the moment since this is my favorite time of year (so many fiscal years coming to a close, data tends to shake up the markets and I like to gamble).

- XOM: I think I targeted it at 72, and I've sold it whenever it gets over that point (nudging here and there based on the news). I was actually out of it for most of the 4th quarter (except a tiny long term share I keep of a bunch of stocks). My load in point was at 68 for last year, I'm nuding it up to 70 for this year. Not sure where I will put my out price at yet, depends a bit on...

- DIG: Proshares Oil and Gas, I wasn't sure how to model this, all I knew is it would trend up. I actually missed the big June/July dip for the most part, but was still positive overall from March, so held tight. I'm not too disappointed, it is almost double overall for the year. I don't see oil/gas declining significantly... not sure how much more upside remains though so I'm not increasing my load.

- BP: Worked out better than XOM, flew past my target and never looked back. I did use my DIG info to time myself out of the stack during June/July (I wasn't sure about overall oil/gas but I love my predictor based plays). So I tapped out once during the year, so my first climb was about 35-36 to 51, and my second climb was about 46 to today's 59. I'll take those gains over a few months for what I considered a pretty predictable play.

Have to second whoever said it was easy to pick winners from March onward though....
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote