View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #94
SportsDino
College Prospect

Dola, even more stocks I blathered about in various threads:

- JPM: My pick for a big winner of the financial piranha storm. More than doubled from my load up point. Course you could have went with....

- BAC: I was right to doubt them declining too much further from early January of last year (although they did drop 50% if you had optimal timing so maybe not so smart on my part). I was slow to join their uptick party, but they have doubled from early April. If you got them on my favorite day in March they would have quadrupled by end of the year. I still don't like them for a number of reasons, but they did put up gangbuster numbers. But its all RELATIVE... I shorted them in 2007 at greater than $45... and they are only up to $16 now... you fall hard of course you can bounce hard... IF YOU BOUNCE. Still stand by it being a risky grab up and right to be cautious, but what I'm terming the AIG shell game made it obvious they'd bounce for the rest of the year so I tagged along.

- C: I still won't touch Citigroup... relatively they are still hammered even far worst than BAC. Sure they bounced like everyone else, but say you moved in April your annual return would suck now, although if you were smart you could have doubled round August-October.

- AIG: I'm not sure this is even a company anymore. Play with at your own risk, if you are an insider maybe you can make a fortune. The stock even split this last year... you could write a text book if you can fully understand this company... I do not.

Oh and I still dabble in gold (IAU usually) mostly because I'm an inflation paranoid person, and even though gold is pretty worthless the mob doesn't seem to think so! I tend to get in and out of it unpredictably, basically I buy gold when I have some chunk of dollars I don't have other plans for (as opposed to moving it into some form of treasuries for that week/month). Because of this randomness (timing based on other moves, not on particular gold related information for the most part) I got a lot of red and green, but the positive trend and odd November/December behavior led to a nice unexpected bonus.

All in all, a much easier year than 2008 for investing, but i think 2010 will be more difficult to figure out because there is no real clear direction to me where it should go. I was hoping for employment numbers that have not come so I think we'll see some shockwaves related to that. The form of that is important though, if there is investor optimism despite real economic weakness the stocks could stay level or grow slightly. And I'm afraid of shorting in general because if the employment powder keg does explode for the better it might make the current 'leveling off' pattern trade in for a small boom that could eat up a lot of money in a hurry (investor enthusiasm/depression tends to outpace the real economy after all).

Maybe we should start a thread for guesstimating 2010?

Last edited by SportsDino : 01-05-2010 at 11:55 AM.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote