View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #865
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

"Feast" is the weakest of the four, but the bar is high. I've read it four times now (well, read through it once, listened to it three times). There's a lot of great stuff in there. There are some issues as it does seem to meander quite a bit. The Brienne chapters, especially, suffer from this. You know where Sansa is, so you know she's not going to find her. We've already seen the "horrors of war" on the smallfolk through Arya's chapters in "Clash" and "Storm". So, it's unclear how it all fits in and whether a lot of it was necessary.

As I have mentioned before, there was a very tight story arch that ran through the first three books: The war of the five kings. Feast is essentially a transitional book in which Martin has to set up all the pieces for the next big arch, which, I assume, will be the whole R'hollor/Others/Dany/Jon aspect of it. I think that is why so much of it felt a bit off.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote