View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #217
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
There are quite a few better catchers out there. The issue here is that he's likely going to be the DH going forward, and perhaps by the middle of this year if Ortiz doesn't hit. So, my guess is there is a difference in valuation between the Red Sox and Martinez's people, who see him as a great-hitting catcher. If he's just a DH and part-time catcher, that changes the valuation. I could see them trading for a solid defensive catcher (or even using Varitek more) and moving Martinez to DH by July.

valid point - and they do have organizational depth at catcher too apparently. either way though - the yankees would certainly bring him in and let him catch (he can't be worse than Posada is now), so you've got to extend him one way or another, or risk losing him to them because he knows they'll let him catch.

Unless you're thinking they'll let him walk and swing a trade for a big bat (AdGon?) to replace Ortiz, and then go with a more "value" play at Catcher (either from outside or using their organizational depth).

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-07-2010 at 09:45 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote