View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #323
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
So who is the Nats' 5th starter and is he really better than Strasbourg at this point? Or did the wunderkid go to the minors to make those clubs some money before his major league debut?

John Lannan, Jason Marquis, Craig Stammen, Garrett Mock, Livan Hernandez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Maybe also to have his arbitration clock start a year later

This is part of it. If you listen to the team, its to give him time to learn and to get in to the swing of pitching all the innings. I saw a quote in support of the move where Kerry Wood says that Dusty didn't kill his arm, it was his lack of time in the minors.

I don't know enough about baseball to say one way or the other. I've seen a lot of people that have said (something to the effect of) "the only place he will learn anything is in the majors". I think, realistically, why rush him? They're clearly not going to contend this year. Why not take it slow and get him going in the minor leagues first?

And, for a worthless number, the Nationals are tied with or ahead of 15 teams, including the Mets, Cubs, Dodgers, Angels and Red Sox. Of course that means nothing. Nor does talking shit about the Nationals starters at this point in the season. Will you be right in the long run? Yes. But will you be right that Strasburg should be playing? That I don't know.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote