View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #394
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hard to compare those two. Giving some benefit of the doubt to the outfielder, you can't always tell if you've trapped a ball or not (especially if you're diving or sliding to make the catch) so they're holding up the ball to show they've got possession and let the umpire make the call on whether or not it was trapped.

AJ on the other hand, did what he did knowing that he wasn't hit, but hoping that none of the umps were paying close enough attention to know that. In the end it worked, but he was knowingly trying to deceive the umps and while I'm sure some trap ball catches are of that ilk, that's a whole lot harder to pin on the guy making the catch than what AJ did.

For the record, I wouldn't do what AJ did in his situation, but I'm mostly disappointed none of the umps caught it. What AJ did, to me, is a lot closer to what A-Rod did with imitating calling the pop up on the infield against the Jays and neither are as bad as the other night with the third base coach actually entering the field of play (whether it was his intention or not to try and trick the fielder into thinking the runner hadn't left third).