View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #238
molson
General Manager

I'm trying to stop paying attention to the individual team rumors, because I think they're all nonsense until we here something, but this is kind of an interesting bigger picture article from the NYTimes today:

College Conferences Ponder Expansion and Extinction - NYTimes.com

I always thought something like this would make sense:

"Eventually, Crouthamel (former Syracuse AD) said he saw the Big Ten, the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Southeastern Conference and the Pacific-10 forming four 16-team superconferences and leaving the umbrella of the N.C.A.A. (Just imagine the fight between the SEC and the Pac-10 for Texas.) He said that those leagues would form their own basketball tournament to rival the N.C.A.A. tournament."

If the Big 10 goes to 16 teams, it's all over for college sports as we know it.

The BCS schools don't need the smaller schools. It's not like a professional league. They can still play them in non-conference games and such, but they don't need to invite them to the party. It makes sense for the BCS schools, who are just in a different world than everyone else, to have their own, seperate, college sports mega-conference, where they can crown their own champions, and run their own product, as they see fit.

Last edited by molson : 04-20-2010 at 10:32 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote