View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #252
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
A 64 team mega conference could basically tell the NCAA to pound sand, right? They could basically pay athletes a reasonable wage, and there would be no more of these Bush type scandals?

Theoretically perhaps, not so sure in practice.

I mean, are the 64 megas willing to forego things like the NCAA basketball tournament (and it's 98% of all revenue produced by the NCAA) for a much shorter national tournament and the reduced revenue?

Because I have a tough time seeing the NCAA willing to allow member schools to compete against non-members in other sports (i.e. letting those 64 break away for football but nothing else) and still feed at the trough for those.

And while the rest are theoretically free to break away for their own group of "The Rest", then negotiate with The 64 & end the NCAA altogether, that wouldn't be something that comes easily nor quickly.

Not to mention having to tear up every contract that's in place currently & start over (not sure what the legal wrangling over that would even look like)

edit to add: Not to mention what 50 different state legislatures would do with the concept of paying players as employees while laying off academic staff.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-20-2010 at 02:46 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote