View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #275
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
LOL, devalue a tournament much? What's the point to a regular season, strictly seeding?

By the very nature of things, you're talking about a tournament that consistently has .500 or even sub-.500 teams in it at that point, since they're virtually certain to only be playing each other all year.

Yeah, I think that is the big problem to basketball breaking loose - losing the ability to pad records against NCAA schools.

But, a 32 team tournament would not change things all that much - right now around 32 of those 64 are making the tourney anyway, and the worst of those have .500 or less records against each other. All that's lost is the record padding games against inferior competition. I think people would adapt.

I'd be hard pressed to envision a scenario in which the teams that break away losing NCAA tourney money out of creating their own tournament. They just end up with so little of the current pot, and are responsible for so much of the revenue. They've got to be able to make money by cutting out the funding of everything the NCAA does out of their product.