View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #761
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Not paying attention to baseball? I'd take Votto's next 5 years over Howard - he has better range, and less of a hole against lefties. Howard had an OPS+ of 140 last year, and is a career .226.309/.443 hitter against lefties. Votto had an OPS+ of 155 and is a career 300/372/486 vs lefties - can't be neutralized by a generic left-handed reliever in the late innings.

There's enough debate here around the top 5 (ie, the not Pujols category) between Cabrera, Teixera, Votto, Cabrera, Morneau, Fielder, Morales, Gonzales etc etc - but Howard is hard to justify as a top 5 guy. Again, he's a very good player, but not elite, and he's being paid like it.

No, no. No, no. I mean, geez, Votto's nice and he projects pretty well. But can we have a guy have an OPS+ over 130 for more than one year before we put him in the top 10 in the league??

Joey Votto Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

I mean his similarity scores are as follows:

Similar Batters through 25
View Player Links in Pop-up
Compare Stats to Similars
  1. Bill Skowron (965)
  2. Todd Helton (962)
  3. Sean Casey (948)
  4. Ron Blomberg (946)
  5. Wally Joyner (942)
  6. Joe Hauser (932)
  7. Lance Berkman (931)
  8. Geoff Jenkins (928)
  9. Wally Berger (927)
  10. Kal Daniels (925)
He had one really good year at a pretty young age. Let's wait just a smidge before we put him in the top 10.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote