View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #616
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
You're a tv advertising guy... Denver/St. Louis/Kansas City vs what exactly? Salt Lake City? Another Texas school?

I think the question is whether those teams are delivering those markets vs quality matchups that could deliver them.

For example, an article about how the Big 12 markets ranked highly in college sports viewership ... but that's based on places like Oklahoma City & Austin & Kansas City. There's not the big bump in, say, Denver for something like Oklahoma vs Florida or for Kansas vs Memphis (in basketball).

Look at the primetime games that ABC has carried in the past several years. UM appeared once last year, the second least watched game of the season, CU didn't appear at all.

Point being, those teams aren't driving viewership anyway. It'll matter to local affiliates in those markets but on a national basis, it really doesn't appear to be a factor at all. People are going to watch Texas or Oklahoma if they're good & they're on whether Missouri & Colorado are in the conference with them or not.