View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #620
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The biggest bumps are likely to occur in KC. One thing that I've seen regularly noted is that Kansas City is a great market for football that doesn't involve local teams. You may actually be able to help me out with this given your background. KC puts up good numbers for both college and NFL where the teams don't involve any local interest when compared to other markets. Some examples would be other AFC West teams playing or other big college games that may or may not involve B12 teams. I know Super Bowl numbers are often very good for KC as well.

Thing is, with KC we're talking about a market that's essentially the same size as SLC, Cincinnati, and Columbus. Even if they're 30% more likely than, say St.Louis, to watch, that would only make them about equal. (as STL is roughly a 25% larger DMA than KC). But the real value of KC again here lies in the (potential) increase in HH availability.

Did you know (cause I didn't until I looked it up) that the wired cable penetration in KC is 64% while in STL it's only 49%? Basically that means that there are about the same number of cable HH's (and subscriber fees) in KC as there are in StL, in spite of some 300k more TV HH in StL.

Quote:
I honestly don't even know how the Big Ten national games are selected right now.

National? Or B10 Network? The distinction I'm trying to draw there isn't meant as a slight to the B10N in this case, just trying to separate the ABC game from the conference/Fox owned network game.

Nationally it's pretty much going to be all about the likely ratings, with the conference owned network I'm sure there's at least some eye toward trying to spread things around a little bit although they'll trend toward "best available game" as well.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-10-2010 at 07:48 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote