View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #663
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
No, he said it from the get go that these initial invitations. He described the contact made so far as being similar to what happens when teams are waiting to hire a new coach -- making contact and making sure that the coach will listen or say yes before they ask permission to contact or make an offer. Kietzman pointed out from the beginning that nothing would be official until an offer was in writing and the state got involved.

Kietzman's best reporting days are behind him and I disagree with a lot of his takes, but this is a different scenario. In regard to those recruiting stories, that was purely speculation on his part -- not sure he ever said his sources said they were done.

I don't know who his sources are other than I know he's got connections with some people at the Big Ten Network and I think that's where this story is coming from. If you read the online story, the one compelling piece of evidence is in regard to MU subscriber numbers for the network. That makes me think his source is with the network.

At some level, KK isn't even really breaking this story. Much of this information was already out there late last week. It's just one more layer of smoke more than anything else. The school denials are pretty amusing at this point, but I suppose it's what they re supposed to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
On the Big East message board, folks are saying that those four schools (Rutgers, Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Missouri) have been invited to "apply for membership" to be voted on by the conference presidents next month. It will probably lead to the same end result, but it sounds like it could be a little different than just being invited to the league and it probably doesn't preclude other teams from receiving the same offer (to apply) in the coming weeks.

It's all the same situation and will end up with the same result. This isn't like a job offer where you're applying to join a list of candidates. It's more like a background check. They're asking for your formal information. If everything checks out and meets their standards for admission to the conference, you're in.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote