View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
DanGarion
Coordinator

Pete's Corked Bat

So there is a story on Deadspin about Pete Rose.

This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

From the article.

Quote:
Bill Schubert wasn't sure what he was expecting. Sure, he had heard the rumors about Pete corking. He didn't necessarily believe them; he didn't disbelieve them either. But he certainly didn't expect to see what he saw.

"I thought that I'd have to send the X-rays off to an expert to tell me if they saw anything funny," Schubert says. "But as soon as we saw it, there it was, right in front of our eyes. I said, ‘That's cork in there.' I was blown away."

It is, indisputably, cork. And with an unbroken chain of ownership, no one but Rose could have put the cork there.

The bat's previous owners were flummoxed.

"We never thought to look," says Adam Wolter. "Usually you cork it for power. Pete didn't need that or want that. But I guarantee a lot of people are going to be checking their own Pete Rose bats now."

They have been. John Taube has a PR4192 with white paint on the head, concealing what appears to be a drill hole. Same goes for Chuck Long, an Ohio collector. And Steve Mears, a Southern California collector, also went and got his X-rayed:

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote