View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #635
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I'm not remembering right now what happened with the endurance challenge - do you remember what day that was? It sounds like maybe there was a miscommunication between us there, but I'd have to look back.

Most of the challenges were not random - ones that included something like aim, or finding something, used a combination of a random roll and different chances of success depending on your rating. The luck certainly had an impact at times, but that was on purpose. I did not want a game that mechanically produced a certain result that the contestants could be sure of, I didn't feel like that simulated the real game well, where the contestants are often surprised by who wins.

How you described your actions and made your strategy had a *huge* impact on how it went. I think perhaps it was hard for you to see that, SnDvls, on the Werewolf side because you guys often got the short end of the stick. The Villagers often had a strategy that worked better, or they had more of their members correctly send in their actions, just picked better people for the roles or just happened to have better ratings in that area. The Wolves started doing a good job figuring out a strategy for each challenge, but somebody had to lose anyway, and it often turned out to be you guys. I think that left you feeling like your strategy wasn't any good.

I designed the team challenges to depend a lot on real life teamwork, by which I mean if somebody didn't send in their challenge action, or if what they sent in conflicted with what the others sent in that hurt your results. That was the best I could do to come up with something to simulate the real challenges in Survivor of working together.

I felt bad for the Werewolves because I knew it must be frustrating. But I didn't want to fudge the results just to make for a more satisfying game. I'd be glad to talk over some of the particular challenges so you could see how I did it - I don't feel like it was random but it was certainly designed to make it not perfectly clear how to win.

not sure of the day it was the reward day the villagers won the hamburgers.

I consider dice rolls & "luck" to be random as neither were a skill set

here's my skill set

You are ...

THE SURGEON

SnDvls may not be a rocket scientist, but he is a brain surgeon. Here's a guy who doesn't need the money, but knows what it's like to be on top. We know he has the wits to play the game, but here on Survivor he'll be dealing with more than a scalpel.

Your Survivor ratings are:

Aim
AVERAGE
Camp
AVERAGE
Calm
EXCELLENT
Find
GOOD
Food
AVERAGE
Puzzles
AVERAGE
Running
AVERAGE
Scrappy
GOOD
Stamina
EXCELLENT
Strength
POOR
Swimming
AVERAGE
Teamwork
AVERAGE

HEALTH POINTS 10

I major improvement to this game is 1) tell everyone what the skills are and do before the game 2) allow us "X" number of points to assign our skills ourselves then we would feel like we had a hand in our own victory or demise.

It was great I had Excellent stamina, but with Poor strenght it was pretty useless. Also I had a hard time explaining to anyone how Heybrad could outrun me in the bag challenge when he clearly couldn't catch me in the 1st part of the challenge. Some things in your "story telling" didn't translate at all to what was being said/told to us initinally. This is how I felt after that challenge after reading the results. It just didn't jive with me at all.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote