View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

An EU3 Dynasty - The Utrecht Shuffle - Complete!!! (We Lost... )

After a short and abbreviated campaign in EU:Rome, I had a desire to continue EU'ing, and thus have begun a campaign as Utrecht.

My goal is to expand in the lowlands, and eventually form The Netherlands. Then, I intend to either colonize or militarize, whichever I feel like at the time.

Okay, let's a take a look at Utrecht:

Cloth, one province, 12.83 ducats annually, Dutch culture, Catholic religion, 15512 population
Utrecht's neighbors are Gelre (which I have a Reconquist CB on), Holland, and three province Brabant in Breda.

We are a member of the Holy Roman Empire and a trade partner with the Hanseatic League.
I would like eventually to be the HRE.

Utrecht is interesting to me, in part, because we are a Theocracy. This is the Archbishopric of Utrecht. I've never played one before. So, for example, no Royal Marriages. It's also a little tougher with alliances, I'm told. In fact, playing Utrecht is supposed to be the hardest of the minors that can make The Netherlands. We’ll see!

For example, a royal marriage with someone means they lose stability to DOW you, and that's a nice incentive, but I have none. My government type hates heretics, but gets some serious church love.

With that, Utrecht seems like a tougher nation to play than some, but the free CB on Gelre means we can try to expand quickly and relatively safe from badboy and pissed off people. Burgundy is the big bad of the area, and I need to keep nice with them. I also need to find a valuable ally early, one who will help, but who will not poach my provinces.

My early goal is to annex Gelre, and then poach any nearby provinces as time allows. My goals are to grab Gelre, Friesland, both provinces from Holland, Breda from Brabant, Brabant province itself from Brabant, Antwerpen and Vlaanderen from Burgundy as the Netherlands.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 07-19-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote