View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The first thing I always do is take a look at my sliders.

We are massively decentralized, and that needs to stop. We need to put in a ton of work here.

We are at -3 Aristocratic, and my ideal is usually -5. I like cheaper cavalry, I like a +1 to my leader’s shock, and I like more diplomats. We are close.

We are at -4 serfdom which is horrible. I much rather prefer free subjects. I get cheaper infantry and stability costs – which is not too bad at the beginning, but at a cost of huge tech decreases and lower morale for my troops. Ick.

Actually, we are at just +1 towards narrow-minded, and I would have thought a Theology would have been a lot more. That’s not too bad actually. Being narrowminded gives you like 17 benefits – Better spy defense, better relations with the Papacy, missionaries, colonial growth -- lots of great stuff. However, it comes with one major disadvantage – tech growth. I’ll stay here for a long time, and focus on tech in free subjects vs serfdom, rather than play with this one.

We are at -3 for mercantilism vs free trade, and each of these has benefits I want and things I don’t want. I generally prefer to be dead center as a result, with no bonuses or minuses for my nation. Where I am right now is good for everything but merchant placement cost – so I’ll keep it. This is not the slider I will expect to change for a while.

We are dead center in Offensive vs Defensive. Boo! I prefer to be at -4 or +4 at one end or the other, and this is the worse to be. I generally choose defensive because I like the +1 to my leader’s siege. +1 to shock on the offensive side is not bad either, though. Offensive gives you better morale, worse fort defense, and more expensive artillery. Defensive gives you lowered morale, cheaper artillery and better fort defense. So I prefer defensive, but I can rock offensive, but in the middle is crappy. It will take four sliders to get me where I want to be, on either side.

-1 on the Land/Naval spectrum, which is not too shabby. If I decide later on to become the Netherlands with the colonies in far flung corners of the globe, then I may want to move to Naval. I will stay here for a while, with slightly better morale and cheaper armies and bigger force limits – but slightly.

Dead center on Quality vs Quantity and I always prefer maximized -4 Quality. Having +1 to my leader’s fire is great. You do have more expensive infantry and take a hit to manpower, but you also get increased discipline.

So, to move everywhere I want will take 23 or 24 slides. That’s about 250-300 years away. I need to prioritize. My priorities are:

Centralization
Free Subjects
Everything else.

So, I move my slider to more Centralized. Have a revolt of 1000 peasants in Utrecht

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote