View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
As far as "classic sports" channels go, I don't know if any of them can be popular, but maybe they can get a bit more traction on a regional/local basis? Here in Kentucky, the NBC affiliate is partnering with the Wazoo Sports Network (?) to provide 24/7 sports programming on its secondary digital channel. From the description I found about it,

"... this new channel will feature live high school and college sporting events from around the state, as well as classic University of Kentucky basketball and football games from 1951 to the present."

Maybe by focusing the programming to a region, it will be a more successful sell rather than trying to sell general classic sports on a national level.

I'll resist the "classic Kentucky football?!?!?!?" joke and instead wonder how much footage would actually be available for a regional approach in most places, with rights holders being all over the place. The cost of acquiring things seems likely to be prohibitive for all but the major players.