View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #173
Travis
Pro Rookie

All those guys in their prime and the Seahawks offense still out scored them by 10 points on the season. Sure that was a great Niner's team, no doubt, and if you go for franchise success longevity the Niners have the Hawks by miles, but that 2005 team was a lot more impressive than you're giving it credit for.

To say the 14-2 Niners squad would beat the 13-3 Seahawks team 24 times out of 25 just kind of exemplifies that.

Montana: 3,521 yards, 26 TD, 8 Int
Hasselbeck: 3,459 yards, 24 TD, 9 Int

Craig: 1,054 rushing, 6 TD, 473 receiving, 1 TD
Alexander: 1,880 rushing, 27 TD

Rathman/Strong would be close to a wash blocking with Rathman owning a huge edge in offensive usage (305 rushing, 616 receiving).

So two offenses with very similar overall numbers and two defenses that were at the top of the league.

In 2005 the Seahawks were #1 in scoring offense and #7 on defense. The Niners were #1 in offense and #3 in defense.

Sure, more hall of famers to be on the Niners team but isolating the one season, there's just not as much difference as you're making it out to be. The biggest difference is that the Niners were able to sustain that level of play over a much longer number of seasons than the Seahawks were able to.