View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #862
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Free Agency:

I reject some trade deals.

41 player s -me.

I sign Rick Rivers for two more years.

I trade DE Pyle to the Rams for their 3rd rounder next year.

Players in the final year of note:

QB Grady High
CB Jim Ackerman
WR Jerry Platt
OT Roosevelt Morin
DE Dan Covington
FB Courtney Pierce
LB Jason Northcutt
LB Anthony McKnight
S Clyde Del Greco
LB Vincent Newsome

I want to reup - High, Ackerman, Morin, Covington for sure.

I sign Grady High to four more years.

Done. 19 million in cap space left.

Remember< I do not have a 1st in this year’s draft, having traded it for WR Beverly last year, essentially.

I have 1 second, 4 thirds, 2 fourths, 2 fifths, 2 sixths, and a seventh.

I am not getting a starter there.

I need to go in with my starters from last year, with a few exceptions. My BAP drafting has given me strong depth in some areas I could trade the starter and promote the backup. For example, S Clyde Del Greco has played above his skills. At some point, this will end. I could move him, then turn to Dominic Gaylor to start for me for a few years.

Another way to make some cash is to trade Jerry Platt, then resign some other players, using his savings to help. Then I just lean on Beverly. However, Platt has turned in the best season in his career so far - 1017 and 9 TD. That’s good stuff. Do I punish a guy for giving me a career year by trading him?

I resign Jerry Platt for three more years. The new contracts trims 1.5 million off this year’s cap.

I hold off on the others for a few weeks.

I add a year to Dan Covington’s contract.

I trade WR Roger Finley to the Cowboys for their 2nd rounder next year.

I trade S Clyde Del Greco to the Rams for their 4th next year. I like Del Greco, but he’s an overachiever who will likely see his stats fall and I cannot afford him right now.

I sign OT Roosevelt Morin to a four year deal, his first as a professional.

I sign LB Anthony McKnight to a four year professional contract as well.

The Vikings have no QBs on their roster so I trade QB George Carrell to them for their 1st next year. Now they have a starter and I save some money on my cap.

I trade DT Ian Agrawell to the Lone Stars for their 2nd next year.

I still have Jim Ackerman, Courtney Pierce, Jason Northcutt and Vincent Newsome as starters in their final year. Time to move to the draft, and then afterwards, to see what I have.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote