View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #63
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Been a long time since I listened to Men at Work, popped it on this morning on the drive to work.

I think "Overkill" is a great song. I started off listening to "It's a Mistake". I remember the videos to these songs. I was always fascinated with "Overkill" because of the rhymes with -ation. I was still in grade school and learning words like that so I think it helped with learning.

"Down Under" and "Who Can It Be Now" are great little tunes too. I think they were trying to hard on some songs to include that sax (or woodwind). But on "Overkill" it really adds to the melancholy mood of the song.
But it all sounds pretty 80's slick to me, save maybe "Overkill". At least each band had a "save the world" type tune ("It's a Mistake"). But I do think Men at Work had a cool vibe (got me into Midnight Oil).

I agree with what you've said. I have loved Men at Work. One of my favorite 80s bands and yeah most of their stuff had that fun pop 80s feel with a slightly dark edge. (DOwn UNder, Who can it be, Be Good Johnny) but Overkill really was a wonderful deep haunting song.

The OP's choice of moment is awesome. I do like how the sax echoes him out of knowwhere as if to agree with the singer. "Day after day it reappears," says Colin. "Yes, it does reappear," moans the sax at he end of the bar.

"COme Back another day" is a great moment. The guitar solo is a moment, although this band kinda drove me crazy in that they used this exact same chord progression in many of their songs. This and It's a Mistake and one other.
My other favorite moment here is when he jumps an octave for the last verse. When he gets to "Especiallyyyyyyyy at night". I thiink THAT is my favorite moment.
I sang this in Karaoke when I was in LA visiting some friends. GOt applause and hoots for that verse.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote