View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #66
Comey
College Starter

Well, I'm frustrated...but I'm going to share this with you.

This song is about Dave Matthews proposing to his girlfriend, which he did three times. She said no, three times. So, he wrote this song, and debuted it on Halloween in 1992. It's aptly entitled "Halloween", and it's a pretty angry song.

It's also a very rare song; it had only been played seven times in the last decade, going into 2008. Then it started showing up after another song was faked. They took a very happy song, Everyday, and faked that into this. Then they took one of their major segues and took that into Halloween. My favorite one of those is what I'm sharing.

The moment for me comes twice; the first is when the crowd realizes what's being played. This was the first time this segue had happened (you can see Dave set up the horns right before they start). Really cool to see. I finally got to see this last year, and I took a video of it. The crowd response was insane. Secondly, and this is on the older versions of this song...Dave absolutely flips out. He still shows it here, but not nearly as much as he did in the 90s. There's a website that has single versions of these songs (as tapers are at every show)...the 10.31.96 version even made my girlfriend shiver at his wails.

Basically, he starts my moment at "But tell me, are you satisfied with fucking?"

The version I'm sharing here, from 8.9.08, is also awesome for the Mike Tyson's Punchout outro that Tim Reynolds plays. Hopefully you hear it.

Last edited by Comey : 09-28-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote