View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

Building the Bills - an FOF "action points" challenge dynasty

As I recently mused here, I am trying to tinker a bit with my best-yet approach to house rules, the "Action Points" concept. The basic concept is in that thread... basically assign a cost to every action in the game, and force me to budget a limited number of action points to do various things. I have played a fair bit of FOF using a 60 AP per year budget, and that has proven to me to be challenging, but a bit predictable. Now, I am trying a different approach -- start out with a mature NFL team, and use only 50 AP per season to try to build and maintain the team.

The bottom line with the AP system, to me, is to come up with some rules that I can play "all out" under, and still find the solo game to be challenging and interesting. The AP system is not perfect (if anything, it's too labor-intensive to keep count of everything for many) but it's not bad. And, for me, the fact that it forces me to slow down and pay more attention to what I am doing is a net positive for my own immersion (it's generally hard for m to get interested in my solo FOF teams).

So, I will document here, for as long as this keeps at least some of my interest. No promises. A failure of my own follow-through may be an indication that this is too tedious, not interesting, or whatever. or maybe that I just got too busy at the wrong time, and walked away (my usual story).

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote