AP planning:
0 – Hire all staff during last stage
0 – Use no rookie interviews
10 – Use allocation of draft picks
10 – Implement custom gameplans at start of season
0 – Implement staff-controlled depth chart for full season
3 – Set injury rate at 150
0 – Leave 25% of cap unused as of start of season
4 – Two 5% cap players (WR Evans, DE Stroud)
--
23 AP remaining for roster moves

So, with a roster fairly full – we're only short at QB and LB from being legal – I feel like we can probably get by with a pretty thin budget for acquisitions. This also, to be honest, “feels right” within the NFL context (I don't really play with real rosters regularly, I confess). Anyway, the gameplan is the big pivot here – if I decide to really load up with lots of extra free agent moves, then I could easily go with the default gameplans for a season. Releasing or renegotiating either or both of the cap-hit players is an obvious angle to shoot here as well.

0 – Hire all staff during last stage
0 – Send former 6th or 7th round pick or former to European league (LB Batten)

Well... looking at the free agent class, our options are fairly limited. The strongest players seem to be veteran receivers (Moss and S. Holmes), interior linemen, and a few odds and ends, mostly on defense.

My whole point of trying to play with tough rules like these is to max out my challenges, and then to play all out within the rules. So I'm trying to manage this team like it's all on the line – so I am looking to make about as big a splash as I can, with a lot of cap space to use.

This also means, in large part for lack of quality options, that I need to pursue Ryan Fitzpatrick to play QB for us. He'd bring cohesion, which would be good, and I don't expect a massive fight over his services, so I expect he will be affordable. I am unimpressed with the FA field at QB, so he's the best available – we will likely back him up with a cheap journeyman.

Incidentally, we have basically no restricted FA worth signing. Usually that's a cheap (AP-wise) way to load up the roster. We're at 41 players signed, with 7 draft picks, so we are already in the right spot, more or less.

I'm thinking we try to land three “big” free agents, at a cost of 2 AP each, then mix in a few other veteran moves (assuming there are some that seem to make at least some sense) and we should still have AP left for late free agency, wheere I will hope to land a quality younger player.

Even though I am relatively comfortable with our OL on initial inspection, I decide it's one of the areas to target, given the quality of the FA fleet.

2 – Offer FA player a flat contract with at least 25% bonus (G Justin Blaylock)
2 – Offer FA player a flat contract with at least 25% bonus (LB Chad Greenway)
2 – Offer FA player a flat contract with at least 25% bonus (WR Sidney Rice)

Blaylock would become an anchor run blocker for our line (needed), as well as a likely chemistry leader (worth building around). LB Greenway is a strong coverage guy, and would cover a huge need on our strong side. WR Rice is just way too cheap, even if he's a less than perfect fit for our likely style of play.

QB Fitzpatrick is asking for 3yrs, $32m – enough to push him into the 5% category, costing us AP after the first year. I decide I will sit back a stage or two and see if he's getting heat... I'm guessing he will not, and we can grab him at a reduced asking price, possibly just under the 5% level, in the later stages of FA1.

Well... an interesting twist. G Blaylock quickly re-signs with Atlanta, and WR Rice with Minnesota, leaving me with nothing from 2 out of 3 of my major offers. Not exactly how I had planned to get started here.

1 – Offer FA player his requested contract (DE Matthias Kiwanuka)

Okay. In stage 4, we land LB Greenway,so all is not totally lost. He ought to come in just under the 5% level, which was my essential goal there.

2 – Offer FA player a three-year minsal contract (CB Bryant McFadden)
2 – Offer FA player a three-year minsal contract (LG Rob Sims)

We actually miss out on Kiwanuka – not a huge loss in terms of talent, but it sucks to lose out on the AP expended and not get the player. This was not a common thing for me in my previous AP challenges – I am used to simply landing pretty much anyone I target. Go figure.

Now I have spent 11 AP, and have landed a total of 3 players. Okay then, time to hit the cheap/free moves.

2 – Offer FA player a three-year minsal contract (FB Quinton Ganther)
0 – Offer FA player 8th year+ requested contract 1yr no bonus (TE Alge Crumpler)
0 – Offer FA player 8th year+ requested contract 1yr no bonus (LB Shaun Phillips)
0 – Offer FA player 8th year+ requested contract 1yr no bonus (QB J.T. Sullivan)

I decide to pursue QB Sullivan for now, since he is a mentor, and among the top handful of veteran guys out there. A 1yr minsal deal is all we commit, but it it not unthinkable that he becomes our starter this year, if Fitzpatrick sticks with his $9m/yr request (I don't think Fitz is worth paying the 5% premium to hold on to).

So, we get to the draft... I release a few hangers-on who would almost certainly be cut in lieu of rookies anyway, along with a chemistry problem or two among our marginal veterans, and look at our personnel needs just to become legal. We need to add a QB (still thinking Fitz here eventually, but drafting one would make great sense also)...past that we are already legal. Improvement would be welcome nearly anywhere, really – how I usually feel when I'm cooking the meal but didn't get to shop for the groceries.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote