Thread: Saying good bye
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I love pet ownership all the way until the final few days. My chocolate lab Joey woke up Saturday and couldn't pick himself up. We took him to the vet on Sunday and the vet said it was 50/50 that the drugs could do the trick. He gave us a steroid to be used twice a day for three days and if we didn't see any improvement, we'd have to put him down next Sunday.

Well, this morning, he seems to be worse. He can barely move his front legs now. We'll give the drugs another day or two, but it looks like the inevitable will happen. It's just so damned amazing how attached you get to these guys. (unless you are Michael Vick)

When it came to human food, Joey only had one weakness, Papa John's Garlic sauce. You could put a double cheeseburger in front of him, go to the bathroom and come back and see him simply salivating over the burger, but not touching it. The Garlic sauce? It'd be gone with the pizza untouched.

So to say good bye, I'll be ordering some Papa Johns tonight (I'm not a huge fan of their pizza, but this one's for Joey) with a few things of extra garlic sauce. That's the way I will say good bye. He'll get a few garlic sauce containers, a big hug, and I'll say good bye to an old friend.

Allow me to interject with a pet story that is related.

I now have 3 Miniature Pinschers, but I started with one - Pharaoh.

He has always been somewhat a fan of people food (even though he gets it VERY rarely), but his big weakness is pizza.

So when he was about 2 (he's 9 now), my wife was studying abroad in Australia, and I had a bunch of buddies over to play video games.

So, we ordered Papa John's and then went into the living room to have at it with the video games.

I hear a rustle in the dining room. I go in and look.

Pharaoh managed to get on his hind legs, grab the edge of the pizza box, and pull.

He was busy licking all over himself because, you guessed it, the garlic sauce landed square on his head. He had garlic sauce all OVER the place.

Anyway - your story reminded me of that.

Sorry to hear about Joey .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote