View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #580
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
In re: to getting other guys open, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. In years past, sure I bet he was great at it. This year? I'd argue he's not doing it any better than anyone else that can run a streak. Again...I stated this multiple times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
He doesn't need to to make his team better.
Cosign on Scoobz here.

Sun Tzu is making 2 arguments as I see it - one that Randy Moss isn't any good as a deep threat, and one that this makes him a possession receiver. The first one is wrong imo, but at least debatable, while the second is batshit crazy and makes me think you have a very different definition of "possession receiver" than the commonly accepted one of a player that gets a lot of catches, primarily short of 12 yards down the field.

The Patriots used him as a deep threat and red zone target. The Vikings had him running deep routes (and probably should have used him as a red zone target instead of getting stuffed running the ball). The Dolphins and Jets singled up Moss but every other team rolls that extra safety over the top. Even if Moss can't beat double coverage (and the DPI on Meriwether would seem to indicate that he can) he can not bother running a route and he's still helping the rest of the offense because they are playing 10 vs. 9. As someone who knows a little about coaching football and has watched every Patriots game, they were better on offense with him, and the stats back it up. From watching 3 Vikings games, they looked better on offense with Moss than without him, and the stats (albeit in a small sample size) back it up. Maybe he's not worth the off-field issues (certainly not if you're Brad Childress and you've already lost control of your team), and he's definitely not as good as he was 3 years ago, but he certainly does not play as, nor is treated by opposing defenses as, a "possession receiver".
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote