View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #53
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I found that curious, too. I watched this with a guy who is a big time devotee of the comic (I have never read a page), and he said that isn't in there, and he couldn't explain it as a story-telling device. He figured the director added it for flavor and tone-setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I had problems with that but my son had an easy explanation that sounded right to me. That scene occurs between him leaving the sheriff's office & finding the horse.

Remember, he takes the horse (apparently) because he's run completely out of gas for the patrol car. In the opening scene he's carrying a gas can & my son explained that this had to take place before he ran completely out, he was looking for gas because he knew he was getting low. Maybe that's not right, but I couldn't find any real flaw in his logic. And yes, I felt rather dumb to have my 12 y/o explain it to me. The purpose was strictly to set the tone for a brutal world and, perhaps, to show that our main character was equipped to deal with the new realities even if it was difficult to do.

Btw, the car he's driving is actually a GA state troopers car, only ones in the state with that color scheme. Sheriff's vehicles are uniformly brown, with the exception of unmarked & non-patrol vehicles (which are white).

I think your son nailed it, Jon. Unless they decide to do some sort of "Lost" like flashbacks, showing what folks were like before the zombies came around, it should be the last of that sort of temporal change. At least, it should be the last one that's confusing.

I was a bit confused myself at first, since the comic opens in the "present" with Rick getting shot. The little opening was just a mood setter.

They might have been well served to put in a "x weeks earlier" script when it went back to Rick and Shane in the car.

I guess some people (none here) had an issue with the little zombie girl picking up the teddy bear. I think it's been pretty well established in the zombie genre that zombies tend to have some very basic residual "memories" if you will. In the original "Dawn of the Dead", they theorized that the reason so many zombies were drawn to the shopping mall was because it was a familiar place to them, a place that evoked positive memories, etc. The same could be said for why the zombie wife kept going back to the house and kept trying to open the door when others didn't. She "remembered" that place being of some sort of importance to her. So, the fact that the little zombie girl picked up her favorite teddy bear when stumbling across it, seemed consistent and a nice, creepy little touch. Also, it gave Rick a reason to believe that she wasn't a zombie at first.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote