View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #62
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
{shrug} I think web-based providers tend to be largely the purview of people too cheap/too unsuccessful to have a decent other option. Or too feeble-minded and/or too lazy to handle anything that isn't tethered to the almighty interwebz.

Which isn't all that unusual of a perception in my world, at least not based on numerous conversations I've had for years about how almost embarrassed most people have seemed to be about using them even when there's a perfectly good reason (i.e. regular email is crashed/bugged,ec).

Over the past three years, I've got over 10k emails saved from probably 500 or more users. Of those, I believe there are a total of two Gmail accounts other than my wife's. My son's now counts as one of the aliased ones though, that's what his school runs the students emails through.

Like I said (and this was really the point I was trying to make by commenting earlier), I believe you'll find different prejudices depending upon the industry/niche you're familiar with.

I would say, being in the technology industry, that you are flat out wrong. IT is not the " people too cheap/too unsuccessful to have a decent other option. Or too feeble-minded and/or too lazy to handle anything that isn't tethered to the almighty interwebz." it is people smart enough to see that it is a far better option than the alternatives. I think you will pretty much find that all people with knowledge of how email, mail servers, maintenance, security, etc would be on my side. We see "you" (those who won't use such services) as the ones that are "too feeble-minded and/or lazy to handle anything that is" different from what they have used for the previous ten years.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote