View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 01:21 AM   #18
Izulde
Head Coach

Week 4
#8 Bowling Green has -the- national TV game of the week against vote-getter South Florida. It's the only Racine game this week.

Home cooking yields a 27-3 goring of the Bulls. But WR Cole Boyer continues to be denied, as augured last year. Sad way to finish the senior season.

RB Wally Bridges gets contacted by Houston.

Week 5
Lawrence has a home regional TV game vs. UW-Stevens Point. Vikings are #24, by the way. UW-La Crosse also opens WIAC play, hosting UW-Stout.

Tough game but the Eagles drop 21-16 to the Blue Devils. DE Vince Barnham continues to do well in limited PT, getting 3 tackles, a sack, and 2 QB hurries in 33 total plays. T George Weston starts, with no stats recorded.

UW-Stevens Point stuns Lawrence 33-10, ending the Vikings' dreams of another beautiful season. RB Rod Bruce gave Lawrence a 7-0 lead with a TD in the first quarter, but then it was all Pointers. Bruce had just 10 carries for 37 yards and the TD and a single catch for 8 yards. This has to be really hurting his future draft stock.

RB Wally Bridges gets another contact, this time from Louisiana Tech.

Week 6
#7 Bowling Green plays at home against Central Michigan, while Lawrence tries to rebound with a road game at Eastern Michigan and UW-La Crosse travels to Northern Illinois.

31-16 loss for UW-L, DE Vince Barnham with a quiet game of a tackle, assist, and hurry. T George Weston continues his strong work in pass protection, no sacks allowed.

The Vikings need to fire their head coach or their offensive coordinator or -something-! 41-7 loss to Eastern Michigan and RB Rod Bruce has his worst game ever, 3 carries for 9 yards and one catch for 6 yards. It doesn't help that he has a shitty QB. I think Lawrence also has a really bad offensive line this year. Oh, and Bruce also had his first fumble of the season.

Bowling Green prevents a triple set, eking out a 20-17 win over CMU. Once again, nothing for WR Cole Boyer.

Week 7
The Falcons continue their directional Michigan journey, headed to Eastern Michigan for a road regional TV game. Lawrence will try to go above .500 and even their WiAC record on the road against UW-Oshkosh, and UW-La Crosse draws #24 UW-Eau Claire in EC.

A hell of a game in Eau Claire, but the ranked Blugolds make a fourth quarter comeback to win 20-19 in an agonizing loss for the Eagles. T George Weston was 2/4 in key run blocks, but also gave up 2 sacks. So much for his great pass protection. DE Vince Barnham didn't record a stat for the first time, which may have made a difference in this one.

Lawrence's nightmare season continues with a 31-28 loss to the Titans. RB Rod Bruce continues to be criminally underused, with 4 carries for 9 yards and 2 receptions for 26 yards.

Ugliness reigns in Michigan, but Bowling Green grinds out a 9-0 win over the Eagles to stay unbeaten. WR Cole Boyer makes his first reception of his senior year, an appropriate 9 yard catch.

Week 8
Normally I'd take a break here, but I want to get as much of this horrid year done as I can. Bowling Green is up to #6 and hosts Akron, and Lawrence is trying to break the losing at home vs. UW-Stout.

But of course, everything's going wrong with the Vikings this year, and they lose 19-7. RB Rod Bruce runs just 5 times for 2 yards, setting a new low, although he does have a 9 yard catch. Through 6 games, he has 134 yards rushing. Ugly.

The Falcons shut out the Zips 31-0, but of course it's nothing doing for WR Cole Boyer.

Week 9
Regionally televised away game at Western Michigan for Bowling Green, while UW-La Crosse is back in action hosting UW-Platteville, FB Terry Ellard still redshirting for the Pioneers as far as I know.

UW-L -finally- breaks through, ripping apart the Pioneers 30-0. DE Vince Barnham picks up a tackle, assist, and half a sack. He's quickly developing into a guy they go to in pass-rush situations. T George Weston goes 0 for 2 on key run block ops, but seals off the defensive ends and allows no sacks.

Oh.my.god. The Broncos score 2 touchdowns in the last minute and a half, netting a 27-26 upset of the Bowling Green Falcons. A Gatorade cooler gets dented when WR Cole Boyer kicks it over in frustration. Undefeated season - gone. National title dreams - gone. And once again nothing to show for it on the field in his senior year.

Week 10
The Falcons plummet to #12, but get a regional TV game on the road against Buffalo. Lawrence invites the #19 Blugolds, still looking for their first WIAC win. UW-La Crosse goes to Whitewater.

So much for the Eagles starting to rise a bit. The Warhawks own them 48-22. DE Vince Barnham gets an assist, a half-sack, and a hurry. T George Weston goes 0 for 1 on key run blocks and allows 2 sacks in a very, very bad game for him.

Lawrence scores 22 unanswered points in the fourth quarter and the end result is a 25-21 win, upsetting the Top 25 UW-Eau Claire Blugolds. RB Rod Bruce continues banging his head against the wall with 5 carries for 7 yards and no receptions for the first time in a long time, maybe even ever.

OMFG. A second straight one point loss for the Falcons, 10-9 to Buffalo. WR Cole Boyer blanked again. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Week 11
All seasons going up in smoke round here. Bowling Green drops to #19, but the Falcons make great viewing, so they've got a big regional TV game against #14 Toledo. Lawrence will try and build on last week's win at UW-Platteville. UW-La Crosse hosts UW-Oshkosh.

God damn it! 24-17 OT loss for La Crosse. I should be happy the Eagles are competitive, but given how wall-punchingly frustrating this year has been, it's hard to be cheery. At least DE Vince Barnham is continuing to build his pass-rush resume with a tackle, a TFL, and a sack. T George Weston is 1 for 3 on key run blocks and gives up a sack.

Lawrence pulverizes the Platteville Pioneers 41-7. RB Rod Bruce rushes 9 times for 39 yards and has 4 catches for 27 yards and 2 TDs, his best showing of the year. He also had a fumble recovery. But it's probably too little, too late to save the Vikings' season.

Hot damn. Bowling Green with the fuck what you heard as they destroy the Rockets 51-17. The Falcons came out mad and poured our all their frustrations on Toledo. But does WR Cole Boyer get to take part? Nope! Then again, he's seen the field for a grand total of 19 pass plays all season long.

Week 12
So what's the standings story, morning glory? Bowling Green is 7-2, tied with a bunch of others for second place in the MAC South at 4-2. 5-1 Western Michigan is ahead, even though the Broncos were 0-4 in non conference play. So, still a chance there for the Falcons to go back to the MAC title game.

In the WIAC, UW-La Crosse is their usual bottom-feeder spot at 3-6 (1-4). Lawrence has fought to 4-4 (2-3), but honestly, they're not going to make it. Not with UW-Eau Claire and UW-Stevens Point both 4-1 in conference.

Lawrence can still salvage a winning season, and they're hosting the horrible UW-Whitewater Warhawks this week. UW-La Crosse travels to #25 UW-Stevens Point.

The Vikings scratch out a 16-10 win that wasn't pretty, but it evens their WIAC record and makes them over .500 for the year so far. RB Rod Bruce gets 11 carries for 29 yards and a TD and catches 4 balls for another 22 yards.

UW-Stevens Point shows they're legit, demolishing the Eagles 56-7. DE Vince Barnham records a tackle and 2 assists. T George Weston is 0 for 2 on key run blocks and gives up 2 sacks. I can see now why they waited so long to give him PT. He's terrible.

After weeks and weeks of waiting, RB Wally Bridges finally gets an offer, a full scholarship from Louisiana Tech. Although he's not thrilled with the school's terrible Algebra program, or the horrible football they play there, he's taking a visit.

Week 13
#17 Bowling Green is at Ball State and Lawrence and UW-La Crosse play in La Crosse in the Eagles' last game of the year, and the Vikings' final WIAC game. DE Vince Barnham and RB Rod Bruce, both Case alums, have been talking smack on Facebook, with Bruce threatening to break out and Barnham saying he's going to rip Rod's face off and throw it down a sewer.

Bowling Green continues their angry late-season run, bitchslapping Ball State 29-3. Naturally, it's all soap for WR Cole Boyer.

And then The Big Game. RB Rod Bruce gets just 5 carries, but makes the most of them with 58 yards and he also catches a 5 yard pass. DE Vince Barnham was shut down and hyperextended his knee. But the last laugh's with UW-La Crosse, who shock the Vikings 35-28. T George Weston gave up a sack.

WOW! Interest blows up in RB Wally Bridges. The Alabama Crimson Tide make a scholarship offer and Wally immediately visits. Michigan State and UW-Stevens Point make a walk-on offer, and Georgia makes contact. I could really see him playing for the Crimson Tide.

Week 14
I think Western Michigan wins the tiebreaker over Toledo and Bowling Green, but I'm not sure. All I know is, the #12 Falcons have a home regional TV game vs. Northern Illinois. And Lawrence will try to have a winning season by hosting Rutgers in a regional TV game of their own.

The Vikings blow out the Scarlet Knights 34-7 and hopefully that'll be something to build on for next year. RB Rod Bruce carries the ball 7 times for 17 yards and a TD and catches a 10 yard pass.

Bowling Green ravages the Huskies 35-9 and WR Cole Boyer gets nothing. I suppose I should be recording the miniscule plays he gets each game, but that's just depressing after he was involved all his other years.

Western Michigan does indeed win the tiebreaker, and it sucks to see a 6-5 team in the MAC championship.

RB Wally Bridges makes his choice!!! Patience proved perfect in his case and he'll be attending...

THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE!

Wally was ecstatic as he announced his signing, "Man, it was so difficult to wait and wait and wait. All those weeks, I just had Houston and Louisiana Tech contacting me and no offers or nothing, but then everything just got crazy the last couple weeks. I'm so happy and so thrilled right now to be a part of such a great football program and a good school. ROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!"

The Tide are 92-45 in this universe, 4-5 in bowl games. Their prestige is 76, which puts them at a pretty high tier. Michigan, of course, is 100, and even though they've won 4 national titles and are 7-0 in Bowl Games, Ohio State is only 85. Got to love TCY's Michigan bias.

I'm happy to report Western Michigan got pounded 52-18 by Central Florida in the MAC title game.

Bowling Green goes to the Generation Why Bowl in Waipahu, HI. Or at least, that's what it used to be called and where it used to be held. Instead, it'll be the Snow Bowl in St. Paul, Minnesota. Yes, it's not a great name, but bowl game names do change over the years and unlike the Rainbow Bowl and the Banana Republic Bowl, which I plan to keep, the Snow Bowl I will probably change at same point. Ditto the Silicon Valley Bowl.

Minor Bowl Week
#12 Bowling Green goes up against #22 Fresno State, and the Bulldogs are favored by 2 points. Wow. In the end, they were right to do so, as Fresno wins 32-20. Ironically enough, WR Cole Boyer gets a 12 yard TD reception, a bittersweet scoring moment in his final collegiate game.

Michigan pounds USC 34-6 in a national title game between two schools with two rings. The Wolverines add the third and continue to hunt Ohio State down.

Awards

DE Vince Barnham is named a National All-Freshman DE!. That'd due largely to his 6 sacks, although he ironically didn't win WIAC Defensive Freshman of the Year. Way for him to make his mark as a Freshman All-American. He took great opportunity of those two flunky seniors.

Saying Goodbye

Although it ended in bittersweet fashion, and the Falcons never did win a bowl game while he was healthy, Cole was happy with his college career. Injury problems derailed his freshman and sophomore seasons, but he loved his junior year, when he got to play in the Rose Bowl, and his favorite memory is when he ran the ball for a 3 yard TD run at the end of a game. That play became known as the Boyer Reverse, and was actually used one other time that season.

His recruiting year was one where he kept holding off, waiting for the right opportunity. In the end, Bowling Green came through and he jumped on it. When Cole came to campus, he projected as a 10/18 player and never figured to see significant time. But he made the most of his opportunities, worked hard, and got up to 30/30 by his senior year.

Cole graduates with a 2.88 GPA, a major in Trigonometry and two minors in Algebra and Social Work. He'll apply for the NFL draft, but recognizes he probably won't be accepted. Instead, he plans on moving back to Racine, where he'll work on his teaching credential, teach in the local schools, coach youth football, and do volunteer work with disadvantaged youth, a passion he developed in his Social Work classes that began with an elective he took as a lark his sophomore year.

"It was a great time in college. I felt very inspired and very determined to work hard almost from the beginning, which to be honest, wasn't always the case back in high school", Boyer said at the senior banquet. "I'll always be a loyal Falcons support and thank everyone at Bowling Green, from the coaches to the professors to my teammates, for everything you've done for me."

Cole and Amanda are said to be planning a winter wedding in Bowling Green.

And so the book closes on arguably the most frustrating season yet for our Racine athletes, a year after the most exciting one.

What will next season hold? That's anybody's guess.

Note: Normally at this point, I'd do a 10 year Greatest Teams, but we haven't had enough athletes yet to make a worthwhile one, so I'll wait and see how things look in Year 15.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote