View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

FBCB2: Rhode Island and more 3 ball

Rhode Island, 2010

This dynasty is another attempt at building a team centered around an extremely fast paced, high scoring, 3 point shooting team, with little to no regard for defense.

Here is my first try, with the Hartford Hawks:

FBCB2: Hartford Hawks - Front Office Football Central

It failed miserably. Part of the problem was the type of player I could recruit. With a 20-30 prestige team, I was limited to 2 star recruits and the occasional 3 star guy. Most of these guys who are great 3 point shooters have very little other skills. I had one decent year and that was abut it. Also, I think the AD's expectations were way out of line.

So, I'll try again with Rhode Island, a 59 prestige team. Here is the basic setup.

No academic suspension, no injuries, no players leave early for the draft. Transfers can play immediately.

I am going to expand my criteria a bit when recruiting.

PG: Must be B or better at 3PS, and I'll look for good hands, passing and inside shooting ability (drive and dish or score)

SG: Must be B or better 3PS and good JPS. INS is nice but not necessary.

SF: Must be B or better 3PS and either good INS or JPS.

PF/C: Must be B or better in either ORB or DRB and competent in the other. Also needs to be a competent INS.

Defense doesn't matter.

Pace will be set to 10. 3 point shooting set to 10. My go to guys will be my best 3 point shooters.
If this was a real life team, I want to see us push the ball up court, and take the first open shot we get, preferably a 3 point shot. The bigs should rebound and tip in or kick back out for another shot.

On defense....I don't really care what they do, I just hope the other team shoots quick, so I don't think we are going to play tough man or pressure defense. I just want to get the rebound on a miss and go the other way quickly.

Rhode Island plays in the A10 conference and has a team prestige of 59 to begin. The AD expects me to finish 500 in conference. Seems reasonable.

The first season gets simmed pretty quickly because I don't really care about the current players on the team. I just want to get my guys in the program and start implementing my system and see if I can have success.

This first recruiting class is essential!

I have 3 scholarships available and the only pressing need right now to field a balanced team is a SF. I'll try to grab a guard and a PF/C as well, but probably go for best overall.

I lock onto a guard and a center early on and I am in a 2 way recruiting battle with each of those guys. I'm having trouble find an SF that I like with mutual interest.

I lose the SG to Delaware, which is pretty disappointing. The other team drops out on the Center I am after, so that should be a done deal for me.

I have an offer out to 2 SFs who I like, but I am not in love with. I also keep heavily recruiting a couple other SF's that I like as well.

Nobody signs with me in the early recruiting period.

December Signing Period.

I miss out on on SF. He chose Holy Cross. I did land the other:

SF Elton Stevens, 3 star, #228. A potential in 3PS, currently rated 71. C's pretty much acros the board in all other scoring categories.

I am still almost assured of the Center and I now have an offer out to a PG who I overlooked a bit at first, but after further review should make an excellent SG in my system.

January Signing Period

I wrap up my first recruiting class with 2 more signings!

C Mitch Lukas, 3 stars, #336 overall. Potentials of: A in ORB, B in DRB and B for INS. And for a bonus a B in Steals.

PG (soon to be SG I think) Jamal Oller, 3 stars, #408 overall. Potentials of B in 3PS, A in JPS, A in FTS, C in INS.

Fast Forward to the end of the season...

We finish the regular season up at 17-13 (9-7), good for 6th in the A10 (a 14 team league). Our RPI is 87 so maybe we are looking at an NIT bid or something...

Postseason

A10 First Round: RI 83, Umass 71
A10 Quarters: Charlotte 109, RI 91

Temple beats Charlotte for the A10 Title and the Auto Bid.

No post season tournament invite for me, which is fine.

NCAA Top Seeds: Michigan State, Texas, North Carolina, Kentucky

Final Four (with seed): Clemson (3), Texas (1), Syracuse (2), Wake Forest (2)

Villanova beats Maryland for the NIT Title.

Texas beats Syracuse by a bucket for the National Title!

We had the conference player of the year and he is only a junior, so I have that to look forward to.....

On to the first real season!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote