View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

November

A very tough start to our season. All the games were on the road, against a bit tougher competition that I usually schedule, but still no real good teams. I go just 1-3.

Nothing to report in recruiting yet either.

December

A much better month as we just about wrap up our out of conference schedule. We go 6-1 in the month to put our record at 7-4 overall. The one loss was at home to a pretty bad Albany team. We really should have gone undefeated.

PG Oller leading our team in scoring with 23.6 ppg. SF Schutt next best at 15.9 and Stevens also is in double figures. PF Lukas just under 10 boards a game (9.9). Our two big guys are combining for 13 points a game. We are averaging 82.7 ppg, best in the A10.

I lose out on the PG I offered. He chose to go to Maine.
I evaluate a few more players to see if I can pick up a useable 4th player.

January

A 5-2 month, but it turned out even better than the record would indicate. We lost our first A10 game, on the road to Temple, but then rattled off 4 straight, including 2 early road wins to finish the month 12-6 overall but more importantly, 4-1 in the A10. We are in a 5 way tie for first place.

Recruiting for that 4th spot is not going well. Anybody worth offering has been scooped up. I am trying to take a late look at a foreign player, but I don't think that will work out.

February and End of Regular Season

We start February with 3 games against teams we are tied for first place with. We drop the two road games and win the home game. Then we lose 3 of the next 4 to fall way out of contention and back to 500 in conference. Winning 3 of the last 4 on the year saves us. We finish the regular season at 17-12 (9-7) good for the 7 seed in the A10 tournament.

Oller finished the season with a team high 24.1 ppg. He finished 3rd in the nation in scoring.
Schutt finished at 15.3 while Stevens was at 12.6.

Our season scoring average was 81.7, tops in the A10 and 16th in the nation. Our 3 point shooting percentage was .414, 7th best in the nation. These are nice to see.

Post Season

Between this dynasty and the last one with Hartford, I am officially the worst post season coach ever. We drop the first round game to the 10th seeded St. Bonnie team, 91-83.

Charlotte wins the A10 Tournament.

NCAA Top Seeds: Mississippi State, Texas, Duke, Connecticut

Final Four: Georgetown (3), UCLA (2), Memphis (2), Connecticut (1)

Louisiana State beats Cincinnati for the NIT Title.

In an all Big East Final, my 2 most hated teams battle. Georgetown, the great of two evils, beats Connecticut for the National Title. Should I just resim the tournament now???

PG Jamal Oller was named to the A10 Second Team.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote