View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 11:51 PM   #167
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Okay, time for my patented Post Game Review!

I loved a lot of new things in this game. First of all, I loved the better 3d graphics and feel of the game. It’s didn’t get in the way of the game like the 3D thing did for Coliseum and XD did sometimes. I also loved the basic plot. I liked a villain team that wasn’t so villainous sounding.

I also adored how no Pokemon from previous games where in this one. I know it’s because this is far away and whatever, but still. It gave this game its own unique flair. I also liked how I had two rivals instead of one. Smart.

In terms of Pokemon design, this has to go down as some of the dumbest Pokemon I’ve seen. A gear Pokemon? An ice cream cone, or sundae Pokemon? A snot nose Pokemon? A sarcophagus Pokemon? A garbage bag Pokemon? A candle/lantern/chandelier Pokemon? I always thought the Pokemon from Gold/Silver were the dumbest overall looking for including such winners as a Pine Cone Pokemon and Hoppip’s entire line the Kernel Pokemon and taking cool looking Pokemon and making silly looking earlier versions (Elekid, Magby). Every gen has dumb Pokemon (Jynx and Mr Mime; Glalie and Chimecho; Combee and Cherubi). But this has the most, I feel.

One of the things I didn’t like was that all of the Pokemon that are cool looking you don’t find until late and your party is set. I did switch to Golett and Axew in the late game, but there were a lot of cool looking Pokemon late game that would have balanced out the cuteness. Imagine Pawniard early or Druddigan or Durant or Heatmor.

I felt the Legendaries were too many, too early, and too useful. If I had wanted to, I could have leveled and had an all legendary team with Thundurus, Victini, Zekrom and the trio. I would have had coverage for a lot. Perhaps move Thundurus to after the Elite Four, and drop the level on the trio that is captured. That makes sense to my mind. You never used all three of the Psychic faeries from Pearl/Diamond because why would you want the exact same Pokemon three times, with a few statistical variance, but the same level and type? The most of the legendary birds I ever had in my party was two. Now, I have finished with two legendaries lots of times – Regice and Rayquaza, Ho-oh and Raikou, Articuno and Zapdos, Giratina and Azelf. I’ve never finished with three, but I thought I might with Victini early. (I don’t know why Victini never had a good Psychic attack – considering how useful it would have been vs the masses of fight Pokies, it’s a miss that I don’t like).

I remember when Psychic was super valuable against the bad guys because they always had Poison Pokies. Hypno was my highest level Pokemon in one go through the first game because I could just put it in front and sweep Team Rocket aside. Now they almost all have Dark, so you are screwed unless they send out the one poison they used – Trubbish and its evolved Garbodor. Where were the poison pokies? The Trubbish family, the Whirlipede family, and then Foongus and Amoongus. That’s three lines, and that’s not a lot.

It felt like there were a ton of Darks, so I looked it up, yup, ton of darks. It felt like a ton of fights, so I looked it up. Before this gen, there were 12 mono-fight. This one added 7. Before this gen, we had 13 more than had a second type of Fight plus. In this gen, we added 9. In all previous games, there were 25 fight, this one adds 16 in one sweeping move. Yup, a lot of fighting Pokies.

10 Rocks. 11 Ground. 10 Dragon. 7 Ice. 12 Steel. 9 Ghost. 16 Psychic. 11 Electric. 20 Grass (includes starters), 17 Water (inc starts), 15 Fire (Inc starters), 18 Bug, 18 Flying, 17 Normal. It seems they pushed some types (Steel, Dragon, Dark, Fight) and reduced others. They also seemed to have fewer single type Pokemon than before, but someone would have to check on that for me. Grass has more types than any other, and I wouldn’t have guesses that in a Urban/Suburban setting.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote