Thread: 2011 MLB Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #367
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I especially like the "he's the greatest .275 hitter we've ever seen" comments. Ummm, go back to the 1980's if you want to use batting average as the way to rate a player.

I continue to be amazed the Braves continue with this idiocy. He's getting on base 50 points higher than the next regular. He's slugging close to .200 points better than anyone on the team. He has close to as many walks (9) as the 5 hitters ahead of him combined. (10)

And what for? So McClouth can get more at bats at the 2 hole? The same McClouth who is crushing the ball at a .609 OPS clip and has struck out the second most on the team?

OK, I see your point. Great idea Fredi.

Or maybe it's so he can drive in Chipper, McCann and Ugla. Well, that's all fine and good, except that he's had 8 chances with men in scoring position and he's been walked in 3 of those instances. The walks are going to start increasing because the guy hitting behind him has had 8 chances with MISP and has produced a 1-8 with 0 BB and 1 RBI. Oh, and the guy ahead of him? He's 0-6 in those situations.

Oh, and scoring position with 2 out? You just don't pitch to Heyward. He's been up 6 times. Walked 3, 1-3 with a single in the other at bats.

I was a Gonzales fan heading into this year. Now you couldn't pay me enough to be thrilled he was managing the team I cheered for.

But you have to get McLouth's confidence up!

Ideally, I'd go Chipper (singles hitter now), Heyward, Prado, McCann, Uggla, Freeman, McLouth, Gonzalez. The downside is, you almost have to have Chipper hit somewhere behind Heyward, because Chipper can't run anymore.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote