Thread: 2011 MLB Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #570
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Yep, his original 8 year contract doesn't end until 2015 so this is for 2016-2020.

Risky business, but the Brewers are betting on contract inflation and actually the extension he just signed is front loaded as his salaries will decline by the last few years of his deal.

But it's a pretty big risk to have a guy at the wrong end of the defensive spectrum signed for so long. But as a Brewer fan and a small market fan, it's nice to see a guy of Braun's ability want to stay with the team that drafted him. It was Braun that approached the Brewers about the extension, undoubtedly getting the idea from Tulowitzski's deal with Colorado. While this deal is nice to see from a small market perspective, it's also a huge risk for a small market team.

Ryan Braun wants to be this generation's answer to Robin Yount in Milwaukee and I have to respect that.

I agree that in theory it's nice, but yow that's a lot of uncertainty tied up in one guy.

I guess ultimately I would like to see the Reds do the same with Votto, but it seems like Joey really wants to test the market in another 3 years.