View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #193
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
So, what happens in Orlando if they manage to lose this series?

Tough to say. I don't think they'll push to trade him. Nor do I see much reason for Howard to want to be traded. He can play out his contract and have the pick of the litter for where he wants to play. This isn't like the Melo situation where getting a contract in under the current CBA was a concern.

So what motivation does a team have for gutting their team for him when they can just sign him in the offseason the following year? You also have to assume that Orlando is going to demand that Arenas or Hedo gets thrown in the deal as well. Not all that attractive. But lets look at teams that could potentially deal for him:

Lakers - Bynum is a nice piece although it's tough to tell what his value is with his injury problems. I'd have to imagine Orlando would want more and I can't find a scenario where they can throw Hedo and/or Arenas into the deal without the Lakers having to give up Odom in the process.

Bulls - They have some nice young pieces they can package with Noah in a deal (Taj, Asik). As well as 4 first round picks over the next 2 years that can be included. But I see no way to match up salaries for a deal and no way that Orlando can tack on Hedo or Arenas as a tax.

Nets - They would love him and could give up Lopez, but that's likely not enticing enough to lure the Magic unless they can get them to take on Arenas as well.

Miami - Orlando would never trade him to a rival, but getting Bosh could be the most value available for the Magic.

Denver - They have a lot of pieces to make it work and could still put a nice team around him. Not sure how willing their owner would be to take on Arenas or Hedo though.

Basically it comes down to the fact that not many teams can offer anything close to his value. And the ones that can are in small markets that he may not be interested in. I think the only way Orlando does it is if they can clear Arenas and/or Hedo from their books while bringing in a young talent and plenty of picks.

I still think Orlando waits it out and hopes he signs an extension. They've invested too much into him and threw all their chips in with the trades they made this season. I hope he stays in Orlando.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote