View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #303
Radii
Head Coach

February Update

-- We play 5 matches in February. 3 of them in short order from the 21st to 28th to end the month.

-- Grimsby's Tom Corner scored 6 goals in January to earn the league 2 player of the month award. Woking are all over this list though, with Joe Collins 2nd and Zoltan Harsanyi 3rd. Both had a couple really solid matches. Collins is also 3rd in the young player of the month voting. Lastly, Bell-Baggie's goal against Chesterfield is the 3rd best goal of the month.

-- The board remain delighted with my leadership. Our league 2 performance is the highlight, Christian Smith's poor play is the lowlight. These DC's are just getting killed for me this season.

February 7th, 2015

Rochdale (14-5-11, 7th) @ Woking(13-5-12, 10th)

Rochdale are 4:6 favorites at our house today, we're just 7:2 to win. We're 2-0-1 against these guys, including a big win at their place earlier this year, 1:0 on a 76th minute Harsanyi goal. They're holding the last playoff spot and are 3 points ahead of us. Key game. Rochdale's Joe Thompson has 11 goals, Will Buckley has 9 goals.

GK: Lynch
D: Nikolaou/Smith/Cooper/Ogogo
DMC: Taylor
MC: Upson/O'Sullivan
AM: Harsanyi/Downes
ST: Bell-Baggie

Harsanyi starts at AML today, even though Collins has been playing great. Kenny is training again but not ready to start. He could come in off the bench. We're attacking at home.

19': There hve already been 5 shots but I've only seen one in a highlight. Rochdale has controlled possession so far.

25': Upson controls the ball in midfield, Harsanyi cuts by his man coming in from the left, Upson with a great ball to him. Harsanyi controls, shoots near post and there's no way the keeper could possibly have stopped that! Harsanyi with the goal! 1-0

27': Quick shot from 35 yards out from Rochdale, Lynch turns it behind for a corner, we clear out the corner.

34': Downes with a corner, crossed to the far edge of teh 6 yard box, Taylor gets a head to it but puts it over.

43': O'Sullivan with a through ball for Harsanyi, their defender is able to clear it behind. Nice pass but they defended it well. We had 3 attacks come up without a shot in the final few minutes, this was just the last one as they clear out the corner.

HALF: We're thrilled to be up 1-0. Keep the pressure on and attack, settle into defense to try to hold the lead? I tend to default to attacking in these spots, and I'll do so here. Rochdale has 6 shots, but 5 are from long range. Just one on target. We have 5 shots, 2 on target. Possession has evened up, 52/48 for Rochdale (it was 60/40 rochdale early).

49': O'Sulliavn to Bell-Baggie 20 yards out, he turns by a defender, it seems like he could have attacked and gotten closer but instead he fires a quick shot, its off target.

58': O'sullvian plays a ball foward to Downes, Downes is in the area but at a real tough angle, he shoots, deflected back for a corner, which they clear.

59': Nikolaou with a rough looking sliding tackle out on the right side. Its a yellow. I was a little worried that could have been a straight red card.

62': Rochdale on the attack, a cross comes in from the right, the ball deflects off smith and falls to one of their fowards, Thompson. He fires a shot but its wide.

63': We push teh ball foward but they clear...surprise blast by a midfielder from probably 40 yards out. Its struck with great pace and Lynch is able to save it but its scary looking.

69': we drop back to defend, they are putting the pressure on hard now.

71': Downes centers to O'Sulllivan who takes a good shot from about 20 yards out, its saved by the keeper and turned back. We can't do anything with the corne, but its nice to see the ball foward to take a little pressure off the D.

75': Pulis in for O'Sullivan who has been involved a lot but has misplayed a lot of balls. Kenny in for the tired Downes.

79': Corner for Rochdale, they cross the ball through the penalty area 2 or 3 times before we finally get the ball out of there.

88': Extended higlights in our offensive end, again keeping pressure off our defense. They try to counter after winning the ball but there's a foul in the midfield that gives it back to us.

We do a great job of keeping possession late and not allowing Rochdale to attack.

Woking 1 : 0 Rochdale

I know its at home... but this is the type of win a playoff contender needs! We shoot 10 times, they shoot 13, but 7 of their shots come from long range, only 2 of ours are. We put 4 on target, they put 3 on target. Their keeper actually earns man of the match today with an 8.2 rating. With only 4 shots on target and one clear cut strike i'm not exactly sure why. Our goal comes from Harsanyi, he earns a 7.5 rating. Assist from Upson, 7.4 for him. Lynch (7.1), Ogogo (7.3), Nikolaou (7.2) also shine in defense. O'Sullivan struggled with a 6.1 rating before coming out.

We remain in 10th despite the win. We knock Rochdale down to 8th, remember the playoffs are the top 7 spots. We're still 3 points out of 7th but now we're in a 3 way tie for 8th/9th/10th. Our goal differential of -3 is still the worst of the playoff contenders by quite a bit. Even with 15 matches still to go it seems highly unlikely that we'd be winning any tiebreakers this year.

League Record Upadte

I glance around at the stats in the league and I notice something pretty amazing. Port Vale striker James Lawrie has 31 goals in 31 matches so far this year. That's the most in League 2 in my history, though he needs a few more for the all time record set by Andy Morrell of Wrexham back in the 02/03 season with 34 goals. Seems like he's a lock to get it.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote