View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 02:48 AM   #315
Radii
Head Coach

-- Port Vale has clinched promotion from League 2, while Leyton Orient and Crewe have clinched playoff spots. Leyton Orient can clinch promotion in their next match, while #4 Stockport can clinch a playoff spot in theirs.

April 22nd, 2015

Accrington(11-13-18, 18th) @ Woking(19-7-15, 9th)

We're 5:4 favorites today, they're 7:4 dogs. Attendence is expected to be only around 3000 fans today, a bit low but it is a rescheduled match. We're 3-1-3 in our history with Accrington, the number of times we've played is bosted by a meeting in the 2 leg FA Trophy Semi-Final back in the 12/13 season. We lost 2:0 at their place earlier this year.

GK: Lynch
D: Nikolaou/Cooper/Smith/Alcock
DMC: Taylor
MC: Upson/O'Sullivan
AM: Harsanyi/Bell-Baggie
ST: Subotic

Kenny is actually back to full training today, but he's really not ready to play anything close to 90 minutes. I stick to my plan of starting Bell-Baggie at AMR, but Kenny is available to play 20-30 minutes if need be. We're attacking today, and I tell the team pre-game that I expect them to win this one.

17': Almost all the highlights show us on offense so far, we seem to be out-hustling them and getting to every loose ball, maybe the "you'd better win!" helps on rare occasions.

20': Bell-Baggie to O'Sullivan, he passes it foward to Subotic, Subotic turns by a defender, he's 18 yards out with two men close by, he lets a shot fly though, and it beats the keeper!! One of the defenders takes the blame for the goal missing a tackle. 1-0

22': Accrington will try to get that goal back, we drop back into a standard mindset at least for now.

23': Taylor saves the day, Accrington earn a corner and a shot is blocked but the rebound sits in the penalty area... Taylor is able to get to it first and clears it out wide.

HALF: We see a couple highlights in the midfield and then blow through the final 15 minutes without anything at all. We take a 1-0 lead into the locker room. We manage 8 shots, Accrington 6 shots, we've only put 2 on target and they've only put 1 on target. Outside of our dominance on headers, everything else is relatively even.

51': After we clear out a cross, Accrington has a midfielder take a wild shot from the midfield circle... it sails through the defense and is only a couple yards wide.

58': I put the attack back on, I'm not going to sit back and let a weaker team try to put pressure on us the rest of the match for free.

61': I almost pay for it immediately, there's a long through ball and a shot from a striker of theirs about 25 yards out, its over Lynch but hits the crossbar.

66': Bell-Baggie receives a pass on a counter attack, he's one on one with a defender, and he's tackled hard, no foul is given but Bell-Baggie is hurt. I bring him out immediately, Kenny is in. Pulis in for an exhausted O'Sullivan at MC too.

69': Ok maybe attacking isn't the right thing to do. Counter attacking makes a lot of sense though.

77': Lynch with a great save after what i was sure was an offsides on a through ball... it wasn't called that way, and they got a man into the penalty area. Smith came back to pressure and Lynch saved the short range shot attempt.

89': We fly ahead to the 89th minte where we see Accrington earn a corner. We are able to clear it out easily. Subotic gets to the ball first and takes it all the way down field, stalling a bit in the corner before starting an attack, a shot is blocked though. We kill a couple minutes of extra time in this stretch.

93': Pulis commits a foul going after a loose ball and is hurt in the process. We clear out a ball on the free kick, they try to get it back in, Smith boots it well out of play. They bring it back in again...Cooper with a clearance... why isn't this game over... ok finally as Charlie Kenny makes a run into our offensive end the final whistle blows and we get the 3 points!

Woking 1 : 0 Accrington

Subotic is great today with a 7.7 rating and the only goal. O'Sullivan a 6.9 rating with the assist. The defense is strong, 7.0 Alcock, 7.2 Nikolaou, 7.3 Cooper, 7.1 Smith. Upson puts up a 7.0 in midfield as well.

Accrington took 14 shots but only put 4 on target, for a good stretch of the second half it seemed most of the highlights involved Accrington trying to get long balls foward, occasionally catching us off guard, Lynch made a couple key saves, though most of the time Smith and Cooper were right there.

3 matches left in the season for everyone now, only we played today, making up last week's delay due to our field getting waterlogged.

Playoff Update

5. Bristol Rovers - 70 pts
6. Brighton - 69 pts
7. Hereford - 69 pts
--------------------------
8. Woking - 68 pts
9. Rochdale - 67 pts

I really thought only one playoff spot would be up for grabs, Brighton and Hereford have both fallen on very hard times. We've got 5 teams competing for 3 spots with 3 games to go.

Our final 3 matches:

vs #16 Luton
at #5 Bristol Rovers
vs #12 Grimsby
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote