View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #1185
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Alright guys and gals. I have been here before and am back again. It's Father's day, and I need to give my family more by dropping some of this extra tonnage. First off, I generally well until I hit a comfort mark, then drop off like a cliff. But I need to do better. I'll be 36 here in a few weeks and my knees are starting to ache. That's something that I have not had a problem with in the past, and it scares me a little because my Mom had bad knees and had 2 surgeries last year on them. I know if I can seriously lose the weight it will help me greatly.

I have multiple problems with eating. I like to eat a lot of bad food and I don't like much in the way of healthy foods. Simple enough. I eat when I am bored and have a terrible sweet tooth. I weighed in at 289.8 this morning, and while it's still a few pounds below my all time high, it doesn't feel good. I need to get serious about this though, and soon. I carry the weight well (being 6'4" helps) but when it comes to losing it, I look pretty much the same (which sucks). I know that Karate with my son would be much easier with 50 or so pounds off too.

I don't do much regular exercise, but go in spurts. Keeping a regular routine is the hardest thing so far. I think if I can start small, that I can be successful. I gotta be able to do this....

Well, you're starting off with the right attitude! Actually, you can do this.

It might help to have a plan to start. Nothing ironclad, but something like a roadmap for the first little bit or so. So here are some questions you might want to answer (here, if you want advice...privately if you don't) to get you started:

1. When can you make a consistent time to work out that will always be yours? How much time do you have? How much do you want to push yourself?

2. What do you like to do to work out? Do you have any injuries that preclude you from doing certain types of workouts? You mentioned Karate...when/how do you do that? What workout equipment do you already own?

3. What simple and specific dietary changes can you make right now that can help you? Can you give up sodas? Starbucks lattes? Whole grains instead of anything that starts with enriched white flour? Veggies and fruits instead of Little Debbie Snack cakes?

4. What factors do you think will get in your way of achieving your goals in weight loss and/or fitness? Time? A household enabler who keeps buying those Little Debbie Snack Cakes? Business travel?

5. What do you do right now that works that you can build upon?

Just some thoughts/questions on stuff that I've had to deal with over the last 14 months...

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-20-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote